JOHNSON & JOHNSON COMMERCIALS OF OLYMPIC ATHLETES
Commercials aired in the US, Canada and the UK throughout the Olympic Games
- Wayne, NJ (August 26, 2008) — In less than eight weeks, California-based, Circle Take Media traveled throughout the US, UK and Canada to interview 13 Olympic athletes for Johnson & Johnson’s “Thanks Mom” campaign, all shot with JVC’s GY-HD250 Pro HD cameras. The “Thanks Mom” campaign features the Olympians thanking their mothers for all the love and support they’ve been given.
- “With a production team of only four, limited time scouting locations, and time with athletes there was no chance for error, which is why we chose JVC,” said Jim Hawks, director of photography. “The GY-HD250s interchangeable lenses gave us the ability to quickly switch between the 13X and 16X Fujinon lenses. The size and configuration of the GY-HD250 handheld operating mode made every production fast and seamless.” Hawks utilized the Fujinon 16x lens for portrait shots and the 13x Fujinon wide-angle lens for capturing B-roll. He also chose JVC because of its time code function. “The ability to jam timecode with PRO DAT and to shoot 720P and 24 frames were also key factors in my decision to shoot these commercials with JVC,” he said.
- Hawks utilized two GY-HD250s with DR-HD100 hard disk recorders for each shoot. “Having the cameras match was critical. The interchangeable memory card insured a perfect match throughout the shoot. Being able to take the settings from one camera and put it to the other camera, whenever I switched cameras, saved us a great deal of time when time was extremely limited. Because of the tight turnaround time, the decision to capture on hard disk recorder was essential. The ability to quickly transfer from an external hard drive saved hours. Having the ability to record 720P to tape and hard disk simultaneously offered collateral capture redundancy -- very comforting in a situation where there was no second chance,” he said.
- At the end of each shoot day, Hawks transferred the media to a portable hard drive and shipped it overnight to Johnson & Johnson’s edit house. Hawks added, “In some instances the spots were shot, transferred, edited and posted to the Johnson & Johnson’s web site within 10 days. The spots rotated throughout the Olympic games in the US, Canada and the UK.”
- “When Debbie Phelps, Michael Phelps’s mother, saw these commercials she called Johnson & Johnson because she wanted to be a part of it. We also shot her commercial with the GY-HD250s, which ran twice during the Olympics closing ceremony.”
- Shipping his JVC cameras from location to location, Hawks never ran into any problems and commented on the reliability of the cameras, “The GY-HD250s performed amazingly well. We never missed a take. The cameras worked flawlessly, especially in rain and inclement weather that we experienced in Liverpool. We had no control over the amount of time we had with the athletes. Time did not allow us to get to covered sets, so we had to shoot the athletes wherever we could — in pools, gyms, and on tracks — and the cameras performed really well,” said Hawks.
- To view Johnson & Johnson’s “Thanks Mom” commercials of Olympic athletes visit http://thanksmomonline.com/ca/athletes.html. To view the commercial of Debbie Phelps visit http://thanksmomonline.com/us/momOf.html.
- For more information and high-resolution photos of the GY-HD250U and DR-HD100 and other JVC products, please visit JVC’s web site www.jvc.com/pro.
- ABOUT JVC PROFESSIONAL PRODUCTS COMPANY
- JVC Professional Products Company, located in Wayne, New Jersey, is a leading manufacturer and distributor of a complete line of broadcast and professional equipment. For more information about this, or any other JVC Professional Products Company product, contact JVC at (800) 582-5825; or Candace Vadnais at PFS Marketwyse 973-812-8883, ext. 430 or visit JVC’s Web site at http://www.jvc.com/pro.
Request more information from a dealer near you