March 29, 2021 - There is a growing need for HDMI TVs and monitors to display video content over long distances in environments such as hotels, restaurants, lecture halls, auditoriums and theaters. Standard video cables have a limited range, but new video extenders can support 4K/60 Hz video resolutions and can transmit clean data from a video source such a laptop, cable box or streaming service up to 230 ft. away.
In addition, HDMI signals can travel even farther than 230 ft. when a repeater is added to the installation or a daisy-chainable extender kit is used.
New extender kits make it easy to extend audio/video signals from an HDMI, DisplayPort or USB-C source to an HDMI display. The signals travel via Cat6 cabling, which can pass through conduit to meet stringent building codes. These extender kits also support Power over Cable (PoC), so the Cat6 cables can carry power, eliminating the need for an extra outlet at one end of the installation.
Why Choose a 4K Video Extender Kit?
There is a growing need for video extenders that support 4K/60 Hz, 4:4:4 and HDR. Generally, the extenders are costly, have limited functionality and only support HDMI. However, new video extenders are available that offer a more comprehensive solution that can handle more connection variations and a deeper, more extensive feature set.
Long-Distance Video Transmission
- Extender kits transmit 4K/60 Hz signals up to 230 ft.
- Adding a signal repeater to an HDMI installation can extend HDMI signals up to 400 ft.
- Select extender kits can be daisy-chained with up to four transceiver units, which add 230 ft. at each level and support additional displays.
Support for High-Resolution Video and Audio
- Extenders support UHD video resolutions up to 3840 x 2160 (4K x 2K) at 60 Hz as specified in HDMI 2.0.
- Extenders support 4:4:4 color, HDR (high dynamic range) images and 7.1-channel surround sound.
- Receivers feature a built-in Toslink port for audio extraction.
Power over Cable (PoC) Convenience
- Power travels via the Cat6 cable, eliminating the need for an extra outlet at one end of an installation.
- PoC enables placement flexibility, bringing power to a unit on a pole or high shelf.
Control of the Source from the Display
- IR remote control allows management of the source from the display end of the installation.
- USB ports on the receiver support the connection of a keyboard and mouse; the USB support is required for connecting a touchscreen to a remote computer.
Compatibility with Diverse Installations
- Extenders are available for HDMI, DisplayPort and USB-C source devices.
- HDMI kits are available with a box-style transmitter and receiver, a box-style transmitter and pigtail-style receiver and a wall-style transmitter and receiver.
- Cat6a cable fits through conduit to meet building wiring codes.
If you're considering a video extender that supports 4K resolution and can reach long distances, take a look at the following solutions.